The new building will be spectacular. It will have a glass front and side allowing people driving by on the interstate to see the vehicle. The entire vehicle will hang suspended from the ceiling! You will get to stand underneath the Saturn V and will experience just how massive this rocket was. The grand opening is scheduled for January 2008. Guess who'll be there?
Also in the foreground is a concept for what came to be the new Crew Exploration Vehicle. It was a Lockheed Martin concept that wasn't chosen to go forward. Lockheed won the contract, but a different design will be built.
The S-IVB moved far enough that day to get out of the way of the rest of the pieces. The first stage to go into the partially completed building was the S-IC. The Space and Rocket Center had set up web cams that allow you to monitor the progress. I found myself checking often to see what was going on!
The next day, July 11, I had just arrived to work and had settled in. After a little bit, I check the web cam. The S-IC was on the move! I copied several of the pictures from the web cam and made an animated gif of the move. One shows the S-IC just as it departs the place it has sat for 38 years. The next shows it backing into the new building. I will keep adding to the animation to show how the building changes over time. The camera focused on the building is mobile, so it tends to jitter things a bit.
After watching the rocket leave the screen, I played hookey from work for a while. The Space Center is only a short distance from where I work. I can see the full-scale model of the Saturn V as I drive into our parking lot. I didn't get to see the first of these beasts move, but I was not going to miss seeing the last move one will ever make!
I was greatly rewarded for playing hookey. Just as I showed up, they had begun to back the S-IC into the building. Not many people were there to witness this event. There were construction workers, a few photographers, myself, and few space center workers. It really was special for me to see this move. I didn't have my camera with me at that moment, but I really didn't need it. I won't forget what I saw.
I didn't forget about my son during all this. The three of us went to the festivities, but didn't stay long. Long enough to eat some tough food and walk outside around the rockets. Jason Alexei loves running around the rocket garden. At one point he stood underneath a Saturn 1, looked up at the eight H-1 engines, and said "Big rocket!" Several people heard him and laughed. I was very proud.
Because he enjoys running around so much, sitting through a couple hours of talks was not in the cards for us. The evening concluded with fireworks. I felt bad for missing them, but that's life with a 2-year old.
In addition to the work in Huntsville, the Saturn V that was retired to the Johnson Space Center in Houston also was just restored. The building is temporary and not as impressive as Huntsville's will be, but anything is better than rotting outside for these machines.
If you want to read more about the "Rocket Roll!" and to see just how they moved all the pieces, try this website for some excellent pictures and descriptions: collectspace_forum
It was quite a nostalgic ride seeing a Saturn V move. Like I said earlier, it's a shame they are now just museum pieces. At least we are taking the care to preserve them so future generations will appreciate what was done back in the 1960's.



No comments:
Post a Comment