Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Red Letters

Last week I read the recently published book by author Tom Davis titled Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds. It is a challenging book about the worldwide HIV/AIDS pandemic.

Did you know in the Swaziland area of Africa the adult HIV infection rate exceeds 50%. Russia has the largest growing infection rate in all of Europe. Millions of children will be orphaned in the upcoming years due to the deaths of their HIV infected parents. Many of these children will have their lives cut short due to contracting the disease from their parents.

Part of the Red Letters campaign is a "5 for 50" website with ways people can help. Of all the links I am throwing out on this post, visit this website to hear Tom Davis speak about the book in his own words.

Davis is president of Children's Hopechest. It is a charitable organization devoted to orphan care in Russia, Africa, and Ukraine. If you are looking for a charitable organization to support, I would recommend Children's Hopechest or the 5 for 50 campaign. Red Letters is Davis' second book. His first book was Fields of the Fatherless about God's heart for the orphan. I have read it several times and have passed it on to others.

No comments: