Monday, February 13, 2006

Visas are in the house...

Our Russian visas arrived today! They look pretty cool. It's a big relief to have them.

The FedEx truck seems to consistently deliver to our house between 8:30am and 9:00am so I dilly-dallyed around the house until a little after 9:00. No sign of the FedEx truck so I started to go to work. I got about a 1/2 mile down the road when I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if the truck came down the street right now". Sure enough, the FedEx truck was at the next traffic light ready to make a turn towards our subdivision. I made like Roscoe and said, "cuy-cuy Hot pursuit!". I turned around and let the General Lee, I mean FedEx truck, pass and I followed it all the way back to my street. It didn't stop at our place first, but showed up after making a stop a few houses down.

I've been wondering how they would transliterate our last name into Russian. If they did it the most direct way, I was worried it would get mis-pronounced "Lennonteen" like it is commonly mis-pronounced. There isn't a long "I" vowel, so it wouldn't have surprised me if they did it that way, but they didn't do it like I thought! Here's my name as it appears in the passport:

Джейсон Теодор Ленентайн
Jason Theodore Lenentine

We'll see when we get there. It may come out more like "lyen-yen-tan". We shall see. There is no "J" sounds so all you Joshs and Jessicas are really "Dz"osh or "Dz"essica...

Here's Wendy's...There is no W sound, so this may be interesting...

Узнди Жиммерман Ленентайн
Wendy Zimmerman Lenentine

The "У" is normally an "oo" sound. The "з" is like "eh"...Maybe they'll pronounce it "ooehndi"...

The bottomline is that now I can spell my name in Russian. With this knowledge, I have a plan to unhatch in Moscow...Something to do with a dude named Lenin...

No comments: