Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Moscow Metro

Since we were having more time to kill than we originally thought, we got to ride the Moscow Metro on Wednesday afternoon. For my previous ripping of the Russians for their smoking, I must give them major props for their subway system. It carries about 8 million people a day. It is a huge system. It is incredibly clean. There was no litter and no grafitti.

Many of the stops that were built in the Stalinist times are incredibly beautiful. All the stops are covered with marble and expensive tiles. Many are lavishly decorated with tile mosaics, stain glass, murals, statues, etc. It really was fun to ride around and see the different stops.

This will be a pretty photo intensive post. Honestly, I can't remember the order of the stops and where we were when I took different photos so I'll just shotgun the pictures. One thing they can't convey is the scale of the murals and mosaics. They cost a mint I'm sure!!!










No comments: