Friday, March 10, 2006

Moscow Skyline -- 30+ floors up

We are getting towards the end of the pics that I plan on putting on the website. Most of the pics we took are of Jason Alexei (go figure). We'll post some of those once the adoption is completed.

The night before we left for home we decided to ride the elevator all the way to the top of the Hotel Ukraine. It takes you to the 29th floor. If you hike up a few more floors you come to a bar. Outside the bar is an observation deck which provides you sweeping views of the Moscow skyline. We caught it right before sunset. It was COLD and windy up there. I was able to take photos from a few angles, but was prohibited from photographing in the direction of the Russian White House. I suppose that is for security reasons, but as you can see from the day one post, I could click click away from our hotel room. Oh well.

The tall, gothic, building in the background is a sister to the Hotel Ukraine. There were seven buildings built in Moscow during the 50's in the same style. I am not recalling what purpose this building served. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs was directly behind the Russian White House, but I don't have a picture of that.





After checking out the skyline, we walked outside down the street to a World War II memorial. Yup...More statues. This one is dedicated to the defenders of Moscow who managed to keep the Nazi's from getting closer than 50km to the city center. There's a regular soldier, a partisan, and a chick with a bomb. Sweet. Of course there is a bust of Lenin as well.

No comments: