Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Christ the Savior Cathedral Pics

Wednesday afternoon we went to the recently rebuilt Christ the Savior Cathedral. We were looking to see if they had a baptismal outfit for Jason Alexei we could buy. They didn't have any, but they did happen to sell a magazine whose cover article was on Alexei Leonov titled "Icon of the Cosmos." The subject was about his passion for painting. For only 70 rubles it was a bargain and I am a sucker for that stuff. It's all in Russian, but oh well. I didn't expect to buy a magazine with Alexei Leonov on the cover inside the largest church in Russia. Go figure. He just keeps popping up whereever I turn with this adoption process.

The weather was MUCH better than on the first trip, so we walked around the outside of the cathedral in areas we had not been before. I left my camera in the van, so all these photos are courtesy of Lori. Here's one she took looking towards the Kremlin. You can see the golden cupula of the Ivan the Great bell-tower.


Antoine is on the left side of this picture. Our guide and translator Violetta is on the right. Violetta was Lori and Antoine's guide on their first trip. Since our children ended up in the same orphanage and given that there were five families in Moscow from our agency for court last week, it made sense for us to pool our resources with Lori and Antoine so that our interpreter from our first trip could work with another couple. They managed to pull it off pretty well for the most part!
Statue of Alexander II who I think was assassinated.


After a little while a wedding party arrived to have some pictures made. It certainly was a beautiful day for wedding pictures. But a Wednesday wedding???

No comments: