Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I have been designated "like a Moscowvite"

With the constant flip-flops of drivers and translators, I have often wondered if we are the typical "ugly American" couple. Doesn't anyone want to work with us???? I make an effort to blend in and to keep "Jake" at bay. I try to use what little Russian I know, which is more than most. Little things like that can go a long way.

However, I have come to realize on this trip we are low maintenance. They gave us a subsititue guide well versed in English and the tourist activities, but not adoptions. We had to explain elements of the process to her and it was overall a good experience. People who needed baby sitting wouldn't get that kind of guide!

For the rest of the trip, Tatiana is our guide. She really is sweet, but can wear on you (me). She is very time conscious and hates to be late. I like that quality so in that respect we are very similar. She is nearly 70 years old and has tremendous energy to do her job. However, she repeats herself a lot which can wear you down. I understand you Tatiana!!!!

All that said, she has been calling me Erik very frequently. I am not Erik or Eric, but I will answer to either if I have to.

See -- low maintenance.

Today, Tatiana payed me a high compliment. Our schedule was rearranged to accomodate the desires of another couple. I was going to travel back into the Moscow Region (out of the city center) with another father to get some paperwork done. But the other couple wanted to do some other stuff. So, Tatiana and I went to the US Embassy to get a jump on other activities.

Here is the compliment, Tatiana has asked me to be dropped off and picked up at different places. Since I know my way around that is OK with me. I don't mind walking some after the miserable car rides. Tatiana said, "Dghey-son, see, you are like a Moscowvite..." and it would make it easier on her and the driver if I did that.

See -- low maintenance... or gullible?

All that said, the internet is still alive! Maybe the problem was the location of the laptop. I had been trying to use it in the living room with no success. Now I am using it in the kitchen. This morning when I woke up, Grace was still sleeping in the pack-'n-play in the living room so I worked in the kitchen to not disturb her. Whatever, it is working.

This morning Tatiana and I went to the US Embassy. This was absolutely my FAVORITE part of the adoption process. I can take advantage of my US Citizenship. I can say to the hundred Russians waiting in line outside, "AAAAHHH! KAK DEEELA!!! I'll tell you what's up, comrades! You are in my house now!!!!" It just feels good to have a place where you get treated better than the Russian mafia.

We dropped off our initial paperwork and got an appointment for 2:00 PM local time tomorrow. That is a big deal. Wendy, Grace, and I will all go. After that, she is legally free to leave the country!!!!!

After the VERY quick visit to the Embassy, we went to the office. Then I got dropped off on New Arbat and walked back to the apartment.

Grace is napping contently. When she wakes up I think we will take a family trip along Old Arbat. We would like to buy a couple things for Grace for some special occasions. Then at 2:00 today Tatiana will pick me up to go to the notary to notarize some documents.

It's a pretty low-key day for Wendy and Grace, which is good. I think it will be good to minimize Grace's exposure to the car. We shouldn't wear her out by Sunday when we will really need her to step up and be good on a massively long plane trip.

Here is a self-portrait of myself alone in the office at the end of yesterday. I took a similar picture of Wendy last year if you remember....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Low maintenance or gullible? My vote -- they're afraid to unleash the Jake! Lori and Antoine