Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Parting Post

We just got back from dinner and are getting ready for the trip home. Dinner was low key. Meaning no crazy Metro rides, rendevousing with multiple couples, insulting waiter's names, etc.

We walked a short distance to a restaurant we visited on the last trip. Joining us were Scott & Tina from Atlanta who successully adopted their son Lucas today. Also joining us were their two and half year old daughter who was a tremendous character witness for them. She was adopted about a month after we adopted Jason Alexei. They are all planning on staying during the ten day waiting period, making for only two trips.

For bringing their daughter on an adoption trip, Tina and Scott get the Lenentine Order of Gutsy Travel Planning. I think they will be fine. She is quite a nice girl and was well behaved at dinner. I can only imagine if Jason had been there. "I go car car please? PLEAAAASE? PLEAASE? I read Bob book, please? PLEEEAAASE???" We miss him a lot, but think he is better off being entertained by babushka-Nancy this week.

There were not many pictures today's events. There were two court sessions after ours, so the judge stayed in the chambers, and I was not able to snap any photos of the room. There were a few guards roaming around immediately after our hearing, so I didn't snap any of our waiting area. I feel like Grace may get cheated a little bit on the pictures compared to Jason, but we made sincere efforts. In our defense the trips were longer for Jason and we had Lori and Antoine to help with the photographs.

At any rate here are couple snap shots from the ride to court and from the building.

Did any one see on the news that Russia had elections? For such a big deal, there was little sign of the election that just occurred. No posters and yard signs plastered everywhere like in the States. I only saw two signs that pointed to the election. I managed to get one of this sign:


Using my crude ability to read Russian, I think the sign says something like, "A vote for Putin is a vote for more negative press in the international media." A campaign strategy like this would go far in Russia. This was most assuredly the reason for the landslide of Putin's party. Tatiana seemed pleased with the outcome. As long as there are no shakeups in the Ministry of Education for the next couple months, we are fine with things just the way they are.

Next is a picture of the brand spanking new palatial court of the Moscow Region. It really is big and nice. The insides were all well done. Our sitting area was spacious. I am sure the judges like it.

The new court building's primary disadvantage is that it is in the town of Krasnogursk, which was sort of in the direction of the airport. It took a while to reach it because of the horrendous Moscow traffic. I really think traffic has gotten worse in the 18 months or so since we adopted Jason.

During our wait for court we actually ate LUNCH! This is a rare thing on an adoption trip. Wendy, Tatiana, and myself shared a lunch together in the cafeteria.

And here is a picture of us as we exitted the building. We left the building around 4:30 and there were still two more couples to go after us. The judge apparently rushed through their hearings much faster than ours. It was getting closer to quitting time so I am sure they all wanted to knock off on time.



Moscow Region has decided to get all 2007 adoption cases through court by the end of the year. That is good news for families, but the local staff in Moscow is swamped. There was little coddling or babysitting compared to last time. I think they may be saving that for the rookie couples. Fine by us, we are generally low maintenace but hate the coddling sometimes.

For those with an interest, no word from Svetlana about court in other regions.

With that I had better shut down the computer and get to bed. Someone has already konked out for the night and I had better head in the direction also.

We fly back to Knoxville tomorrow. I am planning on having the camera ready to see if our little guy is happy or mad to see us return from Moscow to spoil his vacation with babushka-Nancy. Perhaps babushka-Nancy is preparing him? Perhaps? Please?

That is all from Moscow. ONE MORE TRIP TO GO!?!?!?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A quick "YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!" from the Dominican Repulic! Lori