Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Pictures!

I am really feeling gutsy with this internet connection. I am using the blogger site to enter this one, which is periodically saving draft copies. I should be able to punch this one through. Here are some pictures from the trip...

Here is Grace being dressed by a caregiver for her departure from Orekhovo Zuyevo. We did not get to dress her ourselves, like we got to do with Jason Alexei, but we were allowed into her sleeping area to watch the dressing. We got to spend more time seeing where see slept, ate, and played, than with Jason Alexei.

Here are the three of us just as we beginning to leave. Notice the snow suit is on, have I said she doesn't like to wear a snow suit??? We have seen Russian caregivers pushing strollers outside while we have been here. I think the kids are actually taken out from time to time based on seeing that and what her caregivers have said. So, these are probably not the first times she has worn a snow suit and knows when to fuss about it.


Here are the three of us just outside the entrance...


The person who took this photo was Masha, who was our translator on Sunday and Monday. Masha is a personal friend of Tatiana's who asked her to help out this week. There are nine couples in town this week and our facilitators are overwhelmed with getting people synched up with the appropriate driver and translator. Tatiana will work with us the rest of the week. Masha has never worked an adoption case, so it was very eyeopening for here to experience an orphanage first hand. We explained the process to her and actually helped navigate her and the driver to the orphanage! She was a nice lady, honest in a direct way that is unusual for Russians (she admitted this herself, this is not a personal observation).

Back at the apartment Grace took to a picture book pretty quickly.


Another item she has really taken to is a small doll. She loves it. When we give it to her she tries to kiss it. When she is upset, she holds it tight. When the snowsuit goes on good luck getting it away from her! I need to get a picture of her with it. I will put Wendy on that task while I am out taking care of paperwork stuff.

Here is Grace's first meal with us.

She may be a little pickier about eating than Jason, but that might be a premature statement. Part of her problem yesterday was the car ride. She didn't eat hardly anything, but I think she was stressed and didn't want to eat. Overall, she has handled the transition well. She is really taking to Wendy, in particular. I have had fun with her, but Wendy has been with her all the time. There is more time on this adoption where I am separated from Wendy and Grace than with Jason Alexei's adoption.
Today promises to again be another busy day for me. I think Wendy and Grace will get to hang out at the apartment today. Maybe they will stroll along Arbat for a bit. The nice thing about staying at the Ukraina was that it was easy to knock on Lori and Antoine's door to see if they were up for an excursion. With the apartments, everyone is scattered, so we are pretty much independent. Not the best for socializing, but cheaper and having the clothes washer is proving to be a great blessing!

The computer is telling me the battery is low, so I will submit this now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a lovely girl! She is beautiful! Glad you were able to find just the right spot in the apartment.

The Ligon's